Night of a thousand gowns


So this post is kind of late but I couldn't end the week without talking about this past Monday night. Happy Friday, hope you all enjoy your weekend!

Monday night may not seem like the best night of the week to break out your gowns and one of a kind couture pieces. But when you've got a ticket to the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s annual Costume Institute Gala, Monday night is the perfect night to get all dolled up. This year's theme celebrated the opening of the "Schiaparelli and Prada: Impossible Conversations" exhibit.

To me I feel like this is one of the best nights in fashion, above any other event. It's like Fashion's Night Out, the Grammy's and the Oscars all rolled into one exceptional red carpet show!

Let's see who came with who, and who was wearing what...

          
For me, Gennifer Goodwin had the best overall look of the night. She wore a tangerine Monique Lhuillier gown that featured an embroidered and sheer neckline with matching leather belt. From this angle her silver shoes remind me of a high heeled version of ballet flats. So I'm not sure if I would have gone that particular pair but I like the contrast.

January Jones looked insanely gorgeous in a Atelier Versace gown. Her custom dress was actually an adaptation of a romper/bodysuit from the designer's Spring 2012 Couture collection. Definitely one of my fav looks from the night.

Supermodel Chanel Iman chose to wear a revealing yet elegant Tom Ford dress. The black and white patterned swirls gave way to the sexy sheer portions and was simply amazing! She kept the rest of her look equally elegant with beautiful diamond jewelry, a sleek updo and dark eye makeup with a nude lip.

Beyonce looked absolutely gorgeous (as usual) in her couture Givenchy gown! The sheer dress featured beading throughout and ended in a mix of black and purple feathers on the bottom. Love it or hate love it, Beyonce definitely had the most dramatic look of the night. She kept everything else simple with a slick backed pony, soft makeup and no accessories. Just when you thought her dress couldn't get any better...

Check out that train!

Another great model and designer duo was Solange and Rachel Roy. Solange looked sooo beautiful in her canary yellow gown thanks to Rachel Roy of course. I love how sleek and simple this dress looks on her. A small peplum accent and mini train, yes please. Everything about this look is working, from her beautiful big hair and natural shaded makeup right down to that glittery Eddie Parker "Flavia" clutch! For me this was an instant favorite Solange look.

Rashida Jones looked like an effortless beauty in her Tory Burch dress. I love all the details going on and how romantic it looks. The off shoulder straps, fitted bust and black ribbon belt are the kind of slight touches that can take your look from here to HERE.  Perfect soft updo with bangs and matching pink lips keep the romantic vibe going. What a lovely moment on the red carpet for her, she just looks so pretty!  

Rihanna came to the event in a long black fitted crocodile print Tom Ford dress. I love Rihanna and I like her in this look but I just expected wanted something more from her. I mean this girl is known for taking risks and has an ever changing style. So for me I was a bit under whelmed by this look.

A few more designers who posed with their clients were Rachel Zoe with Victoria's Secret Supermodel Karolina Kurkova, who looked stunning in her gold sequined gown and matching turban. And Stella McCartney who got in on a group pic with 2 of her clients, M.I.A. and Cameron Diaz. Props to Cam to rocked a 22lb... (yes 22lbs) custom dress all night long. The dress which she personally collaborated on with Stella McCartney featured crystal and diamond embellishments and a draped open back.

Though everyone looked fabulous I have to single out M.I.A., I loved her printed jacket and skirt combo. While everyone was showing off their couture she went for something less predictable and I personally loved it! Her flawless pink lip was a smart choice and blended perfectly with the rest of her makeup and outfit.

Paula Patton was killing it in her lavender gown by Vera Wang.  Vera Wang does not disappoint when it comes to looking gorgeous, and frankly neither does Paula. I don't think I've ever seen a terrible look from this woman. Beautiful from head to toe and I love this paneled bodice.

Jessica Stam looked nothing less than stunning in an amazing Dior couture gown. Sigh... seeing a dress like this reminds me of how fashion can really be wearable art (like I'd ever forget).  The dress is a stand alone piece so I'm not loving the way she styled it. The overkill on bracelets, matching blue eye shadow and messy updo are not working for me.  Less is more, but I still love her overall look.
Eva Mendes wore a tangerine colored dress by Prada. Her strapless  gown featured a peplum accent and button details all over the bust. I haven't completely made up my mind on how I feel about this look, but I adore Eva. I will say that I think the color looks great with her skin tone and I'm glad she didn't over do it on her hair, makeup or jewels.

Jessica Alba came through in a pleated one shoulder bronze creation courtesy of Michael Kors. There's something about her look that's giving off a kind of old Hollywood vibe to me. Perhaps it's her red lip, or her soft crimps. Either way she still wowed in her glamorous ensemble.

Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel arrived together looking lovely. Wearing a white Prada dress with green stone embellishments and deep v, Jessica looked great. Her date also looked very handsome in his Tom Ford suit and bow tie.

Some other cute couples in attendance were La La and her hubby Carmelo Anthony. She wore a from fitting Zac Posen dress while he rocked an amazing pair of skull loafers and sophisticated frames. Onto Alicia Key and her hubby Swizz Beats. The pair both wore suits from Givenchy and looked... comfortable.

Phew, that was a lot of fashion but you made it to the end... congrats!


Source - Red Carpet Fashion Awards
Source - Huffington Post
Source - A Bit Coquettish

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I love hearing from you!